Skype for Business (formerly Lync) provides extended collaboration features like phone calls, instant messaging, presence, integration with Exchange calendar, desktop sharing, etc.
All CERN accounts are activated on Skype for Business (formerly known as Lync). After installing the application it's possible to use standard features e.g. instant messaging, presence etc.
The feature to place phone calls on Skype for Business is activated when a CERN landline phone number is migrated to Skype for Business Phone system (see the information below).
When a phone number is migrated to Skype for Business Phone system then he/she can make/receive calls in several ways: using Skype for Business IP desk phone, application on a PC/Mac or application on a smartphone.
Note: Alcatel IP Phones and phone analog devices are not compatible with Skype for Business Phone system. Buy a Skype for Business IP Phone in CERN store, use a headset with Skype for Business application on Windows/Mac or install Skype for Business on a smartphone (iPhone/Android/Windows Phone).
Skype for Business as a phone application
People having CERN fixed phone number activated on Skype for Business phone system can use Skype for Business IP Phones and softphones.
Skype for Business IP Phone provides standard phone functionalities. Moreover it adds integration with CERN calendar and CERN mailbox.
- Information about missed calls are delivered to CERN mailbox.
- Voice messages are delivered to CERN mailbox
Skype for Business/Skype for Business provides softphone features:
- Plug headset to your PC/Mac and make calls
- Use CERN fixed phone number wherever you have access to Wifi (home, business trip, meeting room)
On right side you can find a video explaining main features including:
- How to make a phone call from Skype for Business
- How to create a Skype for Business meeting in Outlook
Skype for Business standard features
All CERN users can install Skype for Business application on computers. Skype for Business provides:
- Instant Messaging and presence
- Integration with CERN Address Book and CERN calendar
- Sharing materials functionalities (presentations, documents...)
- Integration with OWA (Webmail).
Skype for Business will increase your productivity when working in teams (especially when working with Outlook) and as the extension to Skype for Business phone systems. We recommend to use Vidyo for any video meeting.
Quick start guide for Skype for Business phone system
- Register a telephone number on Skype for Business
- Get the best when using Skype for Business phone number
- Start using Skype for Business IP phone
- Manage call features
- Manage Skype for Business application