Lync/Skype for Business provides extended collaboration features like phone calls, instant messaging, presence, integration with Exchange calendar, desktop sharing, etc.
All CERN accounts are activated on Lync/Skype for Business. After installing the application it's possible to use standard features e.g. instant messaging, presence etc.
The feature to place phone calls on Lync/Skype for Business is activated when a CERN landline phone number is migrated to Lync Phone system (see the information below).
When a phone number is migrated to Lync Phone system then he/she can make/receive calls in several ways: using Lync IP desk phone, application on a PC/Mac or application on a smartphone.
Note: Alcatel IP Phones and phone analog devices are not compatible with Lync Phone system. Buy a Lync IP Phone in CERN store, use a headset with Lync application on Windows/Mac or install Lync on a smartphone (iPhone/Android/Windows Phone).
Lync as a phone/softphone
People having CERN fixed phone number activated on Lync phone system can use Lync IP Phones and softphones.
Lync IP Phone provides standard phone functionalities. Moreover it adds integration with CERN calendar and CERN mailbox.
- Information about missed calls are delivered to CERN mailbox.
- Voice messages are delivered to CERN mailbox
Lync/Skype for Business provides softphone features:
- Plug headset to your PC/Mac and make calls
- Use CERN fixed phone number wherever you have access to Wifi (home, business trip, meeting room)
On right side you can find a video explaining main features including:
- How to make a phone call from Skype for Business
- How to create a Skype for Business meeting in Outlook
Lync standard features
All CERN users can install Lync application on computers. Lync provides:
- Instant Messaging and presence
- Integration with CERN Address Book and CERN calendar
- Sharing materials functionalities (presentations, documents...)
- Integration with OWA (Webmail).
Lync will increase your productivity when working in teams (especially when working with Outlook) and as the extension to Lync phone systems. We recommend to use Vidyo for any video meeting.
For useful information, tips and discussions check Lync community web site
Quick start guide for Skype for Business/Lync phone system
- Register a telephone number on Skype for Business/Lync
- Get the best when using Lync phone number
- Start using Lync IP phone
- Manage call features
- Manage Skype for Business (aka Lync) application