This service enables deployment of small web applications using the Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) paradigm. It allows creating instances of predefined application templates, as well as deploying custom applications from source code using a number of web application frameworks.
Applications are deployed as Docker containers in an Openshift cluster, providing full automation for build, deployment and scaling. The service is aimed at smaller web applications that do not justify allocating and maintaining dedicated servers. Larger applications should instead consider Cloud Services.
PaaS Web Application are requested and managed from CERN WebServices.
The OpenShift platform addresses the following use cases:
With production status:
- Launch predefined application templates such as Jenkins instances
- Full list of templates available in KB0004363
- Host Java web applications (previously "Java Middleware on Demand")
- Details about how to deploy Java applications in KB0004488
With pilot status (i.e. this service is still being evaluated for usefulness; there is no guarantee at this time that the current feature set will turn into a service):
- Custom web application deployment for languages other than Java
- Automated build and deploy from GitLab
- Different frameworks available such as Python/Django, Ruby/Rails, Java and others.
- Deploy off-the-shelf upstream Docker images
- Application maintenance is user's responsibility in this case