This service enables deployment of small web applications using the Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) paradigm. It allows creating instances of predefined application templates, as well as deploying custom applications from source code using a number of web application frameworks.
Applications are deployed as Docker containers in an Openshift cluster, providing full automation for build, deployment and scaling. The service is aimed at smaller web applications that do not justify allocating and maintaining dedicated servers. Larger applications should instead consider Cloud Services.
PaaS Web Application are requested and managed from CERN WebServices.
The OpenShift platform addresses the following use cases:
- Launch predefined application templates such as Jenkins instances
- Full list of templates available in KB0004363
- Host Java web applications (previously "Java Middleware on Demand")
- Details about how to deploy Java applications from a WAR file in KB0004499
- Custom web application deployment for other languages (and Java from source code)
- Full procedure in KB0004498
- Different frameworks available such as Python/Django, Ruby/Rails, Dotnet core and others.
- These are provided by upstream images maintained by the Openshift project and provided as-is
- By default applications are redeployed automatically when updated base images are available for the framework (such as security updates)
- Deploy off-the-shelf Docker images
- Application maintenance is user's responsibility in this case, in particular keeping the Docker image updated regarding security issues.
- Docker images may be built with GitLab CI and redeployed automatically: KB0004574