Indico is a web application which provides features for organising events of all sizes, ranging from lectures to big conferences. It consists in a main server http://indico.cern.ch, a search engine http://indicosearch.cern.ch, and a document conversion server. People also rely on the Indico main server in order to book CERN physical meeting rooms, videoconference sessions and to request their event to be webcasted and recorded.
This service also manages a separate instance of Indico used to book desks in the various CERN Burotel locations (510, 42). This server is available here http://burotel.cern.ch
NB: While Indico offers hosting of any type of meeting-related files and documents, institutional document archives such as CDS and EDMS should be considered first when storing scientific documents, pictures and videos for the first, or technical documentation for the last.
Indico provides features for the management of the entire conference lifecycle, as well as for meetings and single lectures:
- Tree-like structure, organized into categories. Each category may either contain other categories, or contain simple events.
- Automatic web page creation for the events.
- Event evaluation surveys.
- Automatic notifications (i.e., automatically remembering all the participants in a meeting that it will take place today);
- For Conferences:
- Registration form customization.
- On-line payment support.
- Abstract submission and reviewing.
- Paper submission and reviewing.
- Besides these basic features, Indico provides as well:
- An integrated room booking system, extensible, and currently in use at CERN (replacing the old CERN Room Booking System).
- Integrated support for videoconferencing software (i.e. Vidyo).
- Integrated workflow for recording and webcast requests.
- Chatroom management.
- Exportation of information in different formats: RSS feeds, iCal and MARCXML, for instance.
- Multilingual interface (internationalization).
- Support for different time zones.
- Accessible and usable interface.
Officially, Indico supports the following browsers:
- IE 8+
- Firefox 3.6+
- Google Chrome
The indico team does its best to support other browsers (but with less priority) as for instance Opera.
Indico is optimized for resolutions above 1024x768