CERN users can acquire from the Apple App Store - against a payment charged to their CERN budget code - applications that they need for professional reasons. This includes applications for Mac OS X and for iOS (i.e. for iPad or iPhone). The purchase is carried out with the assistance of the CERN IT through the Apple Volume Purchasing Program for Education.
In order to benefit from this method of acquiring the software, you need an Apple ID registered in the Swiss App Store. We advise that you use your CERN e-mail address to create an Apple ID that you will use for your professional activity related with CERN. CERN Service Desk can assist you with creating and Apple ID in a way which does not require a payment method.
To request purchasing an application from the Apple App Store, please contact the Service Desk and include the following information:
- the name of the software and the name of the software vendor,
- the number of licences required (usually there is a 50% discount if you purchase 20 or more licences),
- the budget code to be used to cover the cost of the software.
We will get back to you with the exact cost of the application and ask for your validation before actually making the purchase.
Two ways of distributing the application licence are possible:
- Assignment through the MDM. This is the preferred distribution method, as it later enables CERN to reassign the licence to a different user as necessary.
- Redeem code. In this case, the application licence will be bound to the Apple ID that will redeem the code and reassigning the ownership of the licence will not be possible.