The IT department will publish soon on the CERN job portal the following Computing Engineer job:
Experienced Web Developer (Software developer) in the Communication systems (CS) group, Communication Tools (CT) section
Are you an experienced web architect/developer? Does contributing to the improvement of an advanced Network and Telecoms infrastructure and providing automation solutions for its effective management, attract you? Do you enjoy working on several layers of the software stack? Join CERN's Communication Systems group and make your mark: Take part!
You will join:
- The Communication Systems (CS) Group, responsible for the Networking & Telecommunications Infrastructure (voice and data) of the Laboratory. In terms of networking, the Group is responsible for a Campus network making use of state of the art technologies to support over 60,000 fixed and Wi-Fi clients, a high-performance data centre network for over 10,000 servers and a high-reliability dedicated network supporting infrastructure critical to the operation of CERN’s accelerators. The Group also operates CERN’s fixed telephone system (10'000 connections), dedicated GSM infrastructure (6'000 mobiles) and TETRA radio communication system.
- The Communication Tools (CT) Section, a team of passionate software developers in charge of the design, development and maintenance of the software suite used to model, configure, support and manage all of CERN’s network and telecommunication infrastructures.
As Software Developer in the CT Section, you will:
- Maintain and further develop the IT/CS web interfaces used by all CERN users to request network/telephony changes.
- Together with the other members of the team, participate in the design and development of new modules for the internal IT/CS network and telecom management framework, such as network and IP telephony automation/provisioning.
- Promote and develop the procedures and tools to further increase the quality of the produced software: enhance the CS continuous integration and automated testing frameworks.
- Mentor junior developers.
- Propose and implement changes in our database model and network APIs in order to support service integration solutions in the CERN data centers.
- Stay up to date on latest software technology trends.
Master's Degree in the field of Computing, Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent.
Experience and Competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in development and maintenance of large software packages in Java
- Demonstrated experience in software development life cycle: unit testing, continuous integration, version control, documentation.
- Database design and working knowledge of SQL.
- User-centric design principles and methodologies.
- Understanding of TCP/IP addressing and networking.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Software development process improvement: Agile methodologies, continuous integration, software reviews.
- Solution architecture: requirements specification collection and analysis, proposal for new software architectures.
- Database/Repository design: development tools, specification, design and maintenance of mechanisms for modelling large and complex infrastructures.
- Application support: provide specialised 3rd line support to business specialists.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving Problems: having a disciplined approach to analysing complex data and situations.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others, proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
- Managing self: working well autonomously, taking on activities without prompting.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude.
- The language competencies required for this post are:
Spoken and written English with the ability to draw-up technical documentations and specifications and to make oral presentations. Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
If you are attracted by this post please discuss your interest directly with Tony Cass.
Not for you? You can nevertheless help the Organization finding the right candidates by talking to your internal contacts and/or signing up for eqipia (link is external), our employee referral support tool which will make it easy for you to publicise these jobs in your network.
Don’t hesitate to contact our HRA, Isabel Pumares Arguelles if you have questions or comments.