The IT department will publish soon on the CERN job portal the following Computing Engineer job:
Network Engineer in the Communications Systems (CS) Group, Communication Engineering (CE) Section
Are you a talented network engineer? Does contributing to the improvement of an advanced campus network with high-speed, worldwide connections sound attractive? Join CERN’s Communication Systems Group and make your mark. Take part!
You will join:
- The Communication Systems (CS) Group, responsible for all aspects of network and telecommunication provision at CERN. We support a campus network (fixed and Wi-Fi) with over 60,000 active devices, a 19.2 Tb/s non-blocking switching fabric for a data centre with over 10,000 servers, 4,000 of which with 10Gb/s interfaces, and external connections including three trans-border 100 Gb/s circuits.
- The Communication Engineering (CE) Section, responsible for designing, building and managing the Network infrastructure that supports the computing facilities and services of the laboratory as well as transferring the colossal volumes of LHC data to and from the data centre. The CE section is also responsible for critical network services such as DNS, DHCP and NTP.
As a Network Engineer in a small team of highly qualified colleagues, you will:
- Participate in the operation and management of the Campus network, the Data Centre network and our long distance, high speed interconnections,
- Contribute to the evaluation and deployment of new network services, and
- Develop and maintain software tools and administrative procedures.
Master’s degree in the field of Computer Science or Telecommunications, or equivalent.
Experience and Competencies
The experience required for this post is:
Demonstrated experience in network design, deployment, management, monitoring and operations, including knowledge and practical experience of:
- Ethernet protocols, IPv4 and IPv6 routing protocols, UDP and TCP protocols,
- optical high speed network technologies,
- network security, and
- dealing with network device manufacturers and their support teams.
- Demonstrated experience of Linux system administration with knowledge of Bash and Perl or Python programming.
- Knowledge of Wi-Fi technologies would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Network support: in a large, multi-vendor network infrastructure and with experience with SNMP and monitoring tools such as Nagios or Spectrum
- Network control and operation: knowledge of TCP/IP fundamentals and routing protocols (OSPF, BGP) and preferably other protocols such as IPv6, MPLS and SNMP
- Systems installation/decommissioning: installation and commissioning of network equipment (switches, routers, wireless access points, firewalls)
- Programming/Software development: notably with scripting languages such as Perl or Python
- System software administration: Linux/Unix systems installation and administration with good knowledge of Linux network related tools such as iptables or tcpdump
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving Problems: Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them. Recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture. Addressing complex problems by breaking them down into manageable components.
- Achieving Results: Delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations. Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind. Objectively assessing and monitoring own work; regularly reporting on progress and advising of any changes in schedule or priorities.
- Communicating Effectively: Delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions. Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented. Providing others with timely information.
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: Keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information. Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer. Creating or participating in forums to exchange experience, comparing techniques and learn from others.
- Managing Self: Working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting. Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- Spoken and written English with the ability to draw-up technical documentations and specifications and to make oral presentations. Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
If you are attracted by this post please discuss your interest directly with Tony Cass.
Not for you? You can nevertheless help the Organization finding the right candidates by talking to your internal contacts and/or signing up for eqipia (link is external), our employee referral support tool which will make it easy for you to publicise these jobs in your network.
Don’t hesitate to contact our HRA, Isabel Pumares Arguelles if you have questions or comments.