Note that this is an initial list established after the PoW discussions: at this stage the budgets are not confirmed yet; we are working on it. This means the posts that will be effectively opened may differ from what is announced below.
Configuration Management service manager: CERN IT provides a central configuration management solution which allows rapid and consistent deployment of over 34,000 virtual and physical servers. Based on the open source Puppet and Foreman software, this activity involves managing the production service, evolving the software in line with upstream developments, advising over 350 service managers on best practice and integrating with other CERN services. The position is in the IT Compute and Monitoring group, Linux and Configuration Services section which would also include regular support rota for the sections activities such as lxplus, DNS load balancing and Linux support.”
Server and storage procurement technical responsible: Collect technical and capacity requirements from IT management and services as well as external stakeholders from the experiments and other departments. Plan and execute market surveys, tenders and price enquiries. Maintain tender technical specifications and questionnaires and assist operations team with logistics planning. Maintain assets inventory and help with the supervision of the repair contract. Manage contact with suppliers and manufacturers.
Hardware engineer: Undertake sample evaluations in the tender process. Perform hardware problem management of systematic issues and provide support for server and storage hardware procured by the team to IT services and external stakeholders in experiments and other departments. Perform technology tracking, R&D and benchmarking of new products.
Technical coordination and implementation of WLCG R&D activities: WLCG is beginning a programme of R&D to prepare the computing models for HL-LHC. There are several areas where IT should be leading the R&D activities. These include storage federation, data management evolution, common workload management, network developments, application performance and cost models and authentication/authorisation mechanisms for future federated structures. The role would be one of technical coordination and implementation between the various IT teams, the experiments, EP-SFT, and selected WLCG sites participating in prototyping work.
- Expert database administrator (Oracle RAC) through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems. Additional experience on different DBMS such as PostgreSQL and MySQL would be an asset.
- Configuration and support of database platforms: architecture, evolution, migration, upgrades and patches, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Consultancy, assistance and advice to end users, including database design.
- Development of software modules following IT-DB guidelines and projects needs.
- Sharing domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and training to peers.
- Manage services on a day to day basis assuring highest possible reliability, security and confidentiality. This includes development, coordination and deployment of system components, as well as monitoring performance and availability whilst ensuring computing security. Experience with modern Java web application design, tools, processes and deployments is needed.
- Drive cloud technology adoption for CERN Java applications in public and private clouds. Study innovative approaches for deployment, design and evaluate the use of external providers as means of provisioning CERN applications.
- Perform continuous technological developments monitoring, share it with your peers and use it to identify services enhancement possibilities, and to ensure services continuity in the long-term.
- Provide support for the user community (providing third level / expert service support). Consultancy, assistance, support and advice to developer community on topics related with efficient use of CERN Java infrastructure and integration with other IT services.