Around 10-15 IT Computing Engineers form the CERN IT Data & Architecture Function.
The aim of the Data & Architecture Function is to lead the department toward a standard IT technical architecture, which will improve efficiency by defragmenting the service stack, enhance user experience through increased system compatibility and consistency, and ensure a consistent data management approach.
As a key step in the IT Project Lifecycle, the Architecture Review Board – comprised of members from this team alongside Security and Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery – will offer developers guidance on best practices for solution architecture, and review the compliance of new projects and major changes to existing services with the standard IT technical architecture.
- Help define and maintain our standard IT technical architecture, the cohesive portfolio of standards, tools, services, and building blocks for our users and IT itself;
- contribute to a best-practices knowledge base for IT solution architecture, which will act as a reference and practical guide for your IT colleagues on how we select or build solutions that are compatible, secure, efficient, performant, scalable, and maintainable;
- contribute to a build vs. buy decision framework, to enable standardisation and rationalisation of solutions and services, optimising the set of resources across CERN utilising total cost of ownership for a more efficient management of resources;
- consult with IT developers working on new projects or major changes to help them progress effectively while adhering to the best practices and data policies;
- as a member of the Architecture Review Board in the IT project lifecycle, along with the Security lead and Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery lead, review specific products or solution architectures to ensure compliance with the standard IT architecture and compatibility with the IT service portfolio.