PREPARING YOUR TRIP
As soon as you know of a travel you will have to make on CERN business, you need to fill in the EDH travel request. Please make sure your Traveldoo profile is up-to-date: in particular, sections "Personal details", "telephones and email", "Passport" (and "Loyalty programs" if any).
Once your travel request has been approved by your supervisor and the budget holder, the IT secretariat will mark your absence in EDH and confirm your transport arrangements.
Please note that transport must be booked by CERN: either through the Online Booking Tool or the onsite CWT agency.
Public transport or the CERN Airport Shuttle must be used whenever possible. The use of taxi should be limited to duly justified cases (no suitable public transport, bulky equipment to carry, strenuous travel conditions). If taxi transfer to Geneva airport is necessary, please note that you should park at CERN; the secretariat will order a taxi voucher for you prior to departure.
When travelling to the USA, please remember to take your UNIQA card with you. More information available on the CHIS pages.
If you need a visa to travel to Russia, please follow the admin eGuide procedure.
Assistance before and during an official travel:
CERN has partnered with a specialized travel assistance company, International SOS (ISOS), to provide medical and security assistance to its members of personnel traveling for official purposes. You can find the details of their services and practical information on the corresponding admin eGuide page.
When you return from your trip, you will receive a notification from EDH to confirm your itinerary. Please note that all the questions at the bottom of the form need to be answered carefully: itinerary, meals, hotel nights and other expenses, etc. Until Traveldoo is available to everyone and allows for hotel booking, you are requested to attach a scan of your hotel bill to your Travel request.
The IT Secretariat will prepare the reimbursement claim based on your answers.
NB: The same rules apply for lecturers invited by CERN. See "Reimbursement formalities" for additional information.
LATEST NEWS (10.02.2020)
Guidelines on interpreting AC33
§49. « Other expenses » - The following other expenses necessarily incurred in relation to duty travel may be paid or reimbursed at actual costs, provided each individual item claimed exceeds 20 CHF”.
The phrase « individual item » refers to each bullet listed in § 49 (a, b, c, …). It is therefore possible to add up expenses that are under the same bullet (a. ou b. ou c. etc…) and if the total exceed 20 CHF, the expenses can be reimbursed.
- A traveller drives a CERN rental car for a duty trip and gets 2 receipts for motorway tolls of 8 € each + a 15 € fuel receipt. The total is 31 euros => reimbursable.
- A traveller has 2 tickets for bus transfer between the airport and his/her hotel (12 € each). Total is 24 € => reimbursable.
- A traveller has one 10 CHF ticket for airport-hotel transfer + a 10 CHF excess luggage fee => NOT reimbursable, since transport and luggage are under two different bullets (§49 b. and f.).
§. 63 “For events in respect of which all duty travel expenses (i.e. transport, accommodation and meals) are paid directly on behalf of the traveller, no DTA shall be paid.”
In this case, no DTA is paid but the traveller can submit a reimbursement claim on real costs for “miscellaneous expenses” incurred that were necessary and justified.
- A traveller drives a CERN rental car to Grenoble in the morning and comes back later that day. Lunch is provided. => No DTA is paid since transport and meals are covered.
(Please note that if the traveller uses his/her own car to drive to Grenoble, no DTA is paid either as this is a personal choice).
- A traveller attends a 2-day conference in London (flights were paid by CERN). Accommodation and all meals are included in the conference fees. The traveller had expenses for professional communication (charged wifi access at the hotel) for 15.- CHF.
=> DTA is not paid. However, wifi fees can be reimbursed since they are miscellaneous expenses (§48) deemed justified and necessary. In this case, the 20 CHF limit does not apply (the limit only applies to expenses listed in §49).
53. Local duty travel – “The Organization shall cover transport and other expenses necessarily incurred when the cumulative amount exceeds 10 CHF. No DTA is paid in respect of local duty travel.”
“Other expenses” refers here both to expenses listed in §49 (Other expenses) and in §48 (miscellaneous expenses).