- Who needs a visa & who can help with the documentation needed to obtain a visa?
- Short or long stay: which documents for each type of visa?
- How can I obtain the documentation?
- What information has to be provided to get the documentation?
- What documents can be used to obtain a visa for the visitor's family?
- France / Switzerland - What must be done when moving from one to the other?
- Is there any additional information I can give someone coming to work at CERN?
WHO NEEDS A VISA (Swiss) (French) & WHO CAN HELP WITH THE DOCUMENTATION NEEDED TO OBTAIN A VISA?
NB: All letters issued by the IT department must be signed by the IT Department Head.
SHORT OR LONG STAY: WHICH DOCUMENTS FOR EACH TYPE OF VISA?
|Type of stay||Type of documents issued by CERN||Important information|
≤ 3 months
- Short-stay letter of invitation
- Convention d'accueil
These documents allow their holder to enter and reside in the Schengen area for a continuous or non-continuous period not exceeding 3 months within any 6-month period with effects from initial entry into the Schengen area.
Note: This visa does not allow the holder to obtain a legitimation document from the Host States
> 3 months
For residence in Switzerland :
- Long-stay letter of invitation
For residence in France:
- Note verbale
- Long-stay letter of invitation
These documents are required for stays of over 3 months, allowing their holder to obtain a legitimation document from the Host States:
- A "carte de légitimation" issued by the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs
- A "titre de séjour spécial" issued by the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs
Note: For long stays it is imperative to obtain the visa for the country of residence. Switzerland visa does not allow taking residence in France and vice versa
HOW CAN I OBTAIN THE DOCUMENTATION?
The official invitation procedure must be complied with. It is imperative that all the necessary visas be obtained prior to arrival at CERN and that they be valid for the necessary period of time.
No extension of the stay or change in the type of visa is possible
Group leaders or their representatives must contact the IT VISA contact in due time.
Warning: at least 6 weeks in advance for a short stay and 14 weeks for a long stay
WHAT INFORMATION HAS TO BE PROVIDED TO GET THE DOCUMENTATION?
In order to obtain the necessary documentation, please choose the applicable table, fill it in and send it to IT VISA contact:
WHAT DOCUMENTS CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN A VISA FOR THE VISITOR'S FAMILY (LONG STAY OR EXCEPTIONAL CASES)?
Visa for Switzerland
- the invitation attestation (to be provided by the department)
- a copy of the birth, mariage, partner certificate (document proving the familial link)
- and the photocopy of the "carte de légitimation" if the family joins them after they have taken up their appointments
Visa for France
- the convention d'accueil for short stays
- the note verbale for long stays and, if the family joins them after they have taken up their appointments, they must also provide a photocopy of their "titre de séjour spécial" (French special card)
NB: family members arriving later, must be registered in the CERN database before applying for the visa.
FRANCE / SWITZERLAND - WHAT MUST BE DONE WHEN MOVING FROM ONE TO THE OTHER?
Move from Switzerland to France and vice versa
- Short stay: no formalities
- Long stay: it is imperative to choose the country of residence before applying to the visa. Switzerland visa does not allow taking residence in France and vice versa
IS THERE ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION I CAN GIVE SOMEONE COMING TO WORK AT CERN?
A document with practical information for USER, COAS and VISC can be downloaded from here.