1 New Internal Mobility Opportunity (IT-CM)
The Linux and Configuration Services section within the IT Computing and Monitoring group provides Linux operating engineering and tools for over 50,000 servers across CERN. The team is looking for an experienced computing engineer to maintain and evolve the operating system services and tools for Linux based systems across a wide range of uses and technologies. Furthermore, the successful candidate will collaborate with upstream open source communities to enhance these solutions to meet CERN's needs, tracking issues and supporting the delivery of these improvements for CERN's user communities.
- Advice and solution design for Linux users to address their needs using common solutions;
- Contribute enhancements to CERN tools such as installation services and open source communities such as CentOS including special interest groups, adapting these solutions to the CERN environment in a sustainable way;
- Coordinate of major deployments such as new releases of software and operating systems in close collaboration with other IT groups, departments and physics experiments at CERN;
- Define, document and implement automation and procedures following the ITIL recommendations;
- Take part in the support and development of the services in the section including configuration management solutions, installation services, Elasticsearch, load balancing and Interactive Logon Services.
- Detailed knowledge of Linux operating systems
- Performance analysis, tuning and automation of Linux services
- Management of large scale Linux server deployments in a complex environment of virtual and physical resources
- Proven track record of open source collaboration and contribution
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python and large scale deployment using configuration system solutions such as Puppet
- Knowledge of networking protocols, cloud technologies, Linux kernel development, embedded Linux and/or Linux device driver experience are a plus