The page What goes Where and the list of Knowledge Base articles on Recycling / Waste (need to be signed in) are the source of information on how to recycle and dispose of various type of material at CERN.
Shared Storage Space
To free Office space, an IT equipment pool space is available to store and share computing items that are in working condition (e.g. screen, keyboard, PCs) but that aren't used at a given moment in time.
For a computer, please make sure you remove it from LANDB before giving it to the IT Equipment Pool.
If you need to access the storage (to store or borrow material), please contact the DSM.
How do I dispose of my furniture?
Keep them in your office. Do not dispose of unwanted furniture in the corridors.
If it is in working condition, please contact the DSM in case we have a need for it.
Then you can offer it in the IT Off-Topic Mattermost channel, to be collected from your office.
Last, you can ship it to B133 for recycling and reuse by filling a EDH SIT form (one SIT per location):
- Fill one SIT document per pickup location
- Nature: Furniture Transport
- From: the location where all the items are (groups the items together)
- To: 133 Storage Hall Meyrin
- Recipient: Jean-Francois Ecarnot
- Add one Item entry per type of item
- As comment indicate if the item is in working condition or not, or if the computer disk needs to be cleaned
- The dimensions are approximate
- The Total Amount for this purpose is 1 CHF
- To avoid mistakes add a photo of the items to be collected
- If you are sending a computing equipment (PCs, servers, screens), please inform Valentina Clavel in order to keep the inventory up to date
Once your SIT document submitted, print the request and tape it on the items.
I am leaving CERN and would like to purchase my laptop. Can I?
Only computing material older than 5 years old may be purchased, subject to the department need. Otherwise it should be given to the IT equipment pool mentioned above. Please check with the Space Manager before proceeding with any step.
- Fill the below Computer Material Sale Form.
- Have it signed by the DPO for his/her agreement.
- Have the equipment cleaned from any application and data by the support team.
- Have the item removed from the inventory.
- Find the DAI of the purchase of the equipment (for its original price).
- Send the DAI and the filled form to Jean-Francois Ecarnot who will send you a price estimate.
You will also need to:
- remove the device from landb.
- remove the device from the IT inventory.