1 New Internal Mobility Opportunity (IT-SC)
The candidate will join the WLCG Operations and Experiment Liaison team of the SC group. The position is in the OPS section, which coordinates WLCG operations and contributes to WLCG infrastructure optimization and an effective infrastructure integration with the computing systems of the LHC experiments.
The main tasks will be:
- Software development of the cross-experiment computing projects driven by the section. Among ongoing projects are: evolution of the WLCG Information System, the framework that simplifies the deployment and management of distributed services and the development of tools and services that provide operational intelligence;
- WLCG Operations Coordination, participation in the WLCG Task Forces and Working Groups
- Liaison role between LHC experiments, the WLCG project and the CERN IT department. It requires to ensure effective two-way communication, covering information about LHC computing activities, plans, priorities and needs, cross-experiment projects, as well as information related to WLCG operations and service evolution, reporting back to WLCG management;
Required skills include:
- In-depth experience in object-oriented software design in the Linux environment with Python
- Design, development and deployment of web applications. Experience with the Django framework would be an asset.
Configuration management and deployment
- Configuration management systems: eg Puppet and/or Ansible
- Use of cloud computing platforms: eg OpenStack
- Use of systems for container-based application deployment: eg Kubernetes and/or Docker Swarm
Monitoring of large-scale distributed systems, data analytics and machine learning
- Data handling: Hadoop, Spark, ElasticSearch, LogStash, InfluxDB
- Data visualization: Grafana , Kibana