1 New Internal Mobility Opportunity (IT-ST)
Technical engineer (Grade 5) position in the IT-ST-FDO section; FDO supports most of the storage services in the IT department: EOS is at the centre of physics computing (notably LHC data taking) and Ceph provides the backbone of the IT cloud and support for mission-critical services (e.g. S3, Puppet ).
The successful applicant should manage critical components of our service and contribute to their evolution with tools and documentation. The position requires experience in the following areas:
- Linux system administration (Red Hat or Centos in particular)
- DevOps-style operations (most notably Configuration Management and Infrastructure Automation) for large storage services
- Diagnostic and optimisation Linux file-systems (XFS and/or ZFS)
- Troubleshooting anomalies of complex C++ applications (gdb, network tools, …)
- Nodes management, most notably proactive management of critical situations that impact user activities
Out-of-working-hours interventions to respond to critical tickets may be necessary by FDO section members.
The initial assignments would be:
- EOS service tasks (software upgrades, configuration)
- AFS replacement project, notably preparing, using and supporting data transfer tools and metadata (ACL) checking procedures.