Opening of an LD post in CDA: Software Engineer (Web Applications)
The IT department will publish soon on the CERN job portal the following Computing Engineer job:
Software Engineer (Web Applications) in the Collaboration, Devices & Applications (CDA) Group, Digital Repositories (DR) Section
Are you an experienced Software Engineer who enjoys innovative Full-stack Web Development? Take an active role in development and service management, joining a dynamic team using cutting edge technologies, for a large open source project used by thousands of users every day all around the world. Work at the heart of digital research publication and archival at the largest particle physics lab in the world: CERN.
You will join the Digital Repositories (DR) Section which is responsible for activities related to archival, preservation and dissemination of CERN’s research. DR leads the development of Invenio http://invenio-software.org/, an Open Source Digital Library Framework that is used at CERN, and world-wide by many partners, in order to run services like Institutional Repositories, Integrated Digital Libraries, Research Data Repositories and Multimedia Archives. DR also develops and maintains the CERN Document Server (CDS) - CERN’s institutional repository (archiving articles, data, photos, videos, audio, etc) and collaborates in several cross-CERN projects (e.g. CERN Open Data Portal and CERN Analysis Preservation) and EU projects (e.g. OpenAIRE/Zenodo and EUDAT/B2Share).
As a Software Engineer in the DR section, you will be involved in
- the development of new modules and functionalities for the Invenio Digital Library Framework;
- DevOps activities - the configuration, deployment and maintenance activities of some Invenio-based services;
- providing support for Invenio-based services and Invenio developer community;
- the management of code contributions following an Open Source development model;
- possibly supervising short-term team members.
Qualification required: Master’s degree or equivalent in computer science or a related field
Experience and Competencies:
- The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience with the full-stack development of large software projects, preferably for the web, involving design and development of user interfaces, web application back-ends, front-ends and database schema management.
- Experience with user relations, user support, user training, user requirements definition.
- Experience in service deployment, configuration management and operation.
- The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Front-end development: Demonstrated experience with web UI technologies; Experience with toolkits such as SASS, Twitter Bootstrap and AngularJS is a plus; Knowledge of User Experience and Usability practices.
- Database/Repository design: extensive experience with Database Management Systems (PostgreSQL in particular) and Object-Relational Mapping libraries (e.g. SQLAlchemy); Experience with Elasticsearch and Redis is a plus.
- Configuration management: experience building and maintaining configuration templates and parameters (OpenStack and Puppet is a plus); Knowledge of container-based technologies and platforms (e.g. Docker, OpenShift) is also a plus.
- Requirements definition and management.
- The behavioral competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, take action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through optimistic and constructive attitude; supporting and acting in accordance with team decisions; accepting joint responsibility for team successes and shortcomings.
- Communicating: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- The language competencies required for this post are: Good knowledge of English is required; basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
If you are attracted by this post please discuss your interest directly with Jose Benito Gonzalez Lopez or Tim Smith.
Not for you? You can nevertheless help the Organization finding the right candidates by talking to your internal contacts and/or signing up for eqipia (link is external), our employee referral support tool which will make it easy for you to publicise these jobs in your network.
Don’t hesitate to contact our HRA, Isabel Pumares Arguelles if you have questions or comments.