Opening of 3 LD posts in CM: Engineers (Computing)
The IT department will publish soon on the CERN job portal the following 3 Computing Engineer jobs:
Engineers (Computing) in the Computing and Monitoring Group (CM), Resource Provisioning (RPS) and Infrastructure Services (IS) sections
Take an active role in the smooth running of compute intensive services for CERN. Provide the infrastructure and tools for analysis of the data from the Large Hadron Collider and other experiments!
You will join:
- The Compute and Monitoring (CM) group which provides compute resources, schedulers and tools to support efficient usage of over 200,000 computing cores at the CERN data centers. More information on the group is at: http://information-technology.web.cern.ch/about/organisation/compute-monitoring
- Either the Resource Provisioning Section (RPS), responsible for providing compute and service infrastructure for CERN or the Infrastructure Services Section (IS), responsible for delivering the compute intensive services for CERN and the Worldwide Computing Grid.
As a Computing Engineer in the IT-CM group, you will maintain and evolve the CERN compute services across a wide range of technologies including large private and public cloud facilities, compute intensive batch systems and high performance clusters.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Daily management of the services which includes third level service support, deployment of software packages, performance and availability monitoring and computing security;
- Advice and solution design for our users and LHC experiments staff in the use of the CERN compute services;
- Automation using Agile/DevOps tools such as Puppet to support running compute resources at scale
- Contributing developments to Open Source communities such as OpenStack, HTCondor and Puppet;
- Coordination of major deployments such as new releases of software and operating systems
- Definition, documentation and implementation of procedures following the ITIL recommendations;
- Close collaboration with other IT groups, departments and physics experiments at CERN.
Master's degree in the field of Computer Science or related field, or equivalent.
Experience and Competencies
The experience required for this post is:
Please note we are looking for 3 profiles in this Vacancy, therefore not meeting all requested experience will not be a reason for disqualification.
- Managing large scale Linux server deployments in a complex environment such as OpenStack cloud services or virtualisation systems such as KVM
- Performing automation tasks using scripting languages such as Python and deploying services using configuration system solutions such as Puppet
- Analysis of performance of distributed applications, high performance application tuning and optimisation, such as MPI and Infiniband
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- IT operations: deliver and support properly-engineered IT services and products to meet the needs of CERN
- Design & selection of methods and tools: analyse sub-optimum procedures, streamline and document new ones; optimisation of existing tools and selection of the most appropriate one for a given process
- Technical advice and guidance: handling of special user requests; development of technical expertise within the team
- Change management: coordination of changes within and outside the group
- Release management: organisation of large scale deployments in a complex environment
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: Expresses opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner.
- Building relationships: Delivers prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: Produces a range of innovative and workable solutions.
- Demonstrating flexibility: Readily adjusts plans and priorities to respond to changing circumstances.
- Working in teams: Builds and maintains constructive and effective work relationships.
The language competencies required for this post are:
Spoken and written English: Ability to draw-up technical specifications documentation and/or scientific reports. Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
If you are attracted by this post please discuss your interest directly with Tim Bell.
Not for you? You can nevertheless help the Organization finding the right candidates by talking to your internal contacts and/or signing up for eqipia (link is external), our employee referral support tool which will make it easy for you to publicise these jobs in your network.
Don’t hesitate to contact our HRA, Isabel Pumares Arguelles if you have questions or comments.