Duty travel


As soon as you know of a travel you will have to make on CERN business, you need to fill in the EDH Travel form (TRVL).

Once your travel request has been approved by your Group Leader and the budget holder, you should update your profile on MyCWT (As per : https://information-technology.web.cern.ch/sites/default/files/MYCWT.pdf) , mark your absence in EDH and book your flights, trains and/or rental cars (at destination) by contacting the onsite CWT agency. You can generate an email template containing all the necessary information by clicking on the blue button "Generate a booking request to CWT" on your TRVL document. The template will be saved in the attachments of the TRVL and you can then open it, update it as necessary (demi-tarif, etc) and send it to CWT directly.

Important note: The transport must be booked by CERN (Via CWT).

Public transport or the CERN Airport Shuttle must be used whenever possible. The use of taxi should be limited to duly justified cases (no suitable public transport, bulky equipment to carry, strenuous travel conditions). If taxi transfer to Geneva airport is necessary, please note that you should park at CERN; the secretariat will order a taxi voucher for you prior to departure.

The roles and responsibilities of the traveller, travel arranger, travel manager, travel coordinator, group leader, and budget holder are detailed on the page of the Duty Travel Coordination.

When travelling to the USA, please remember to take your UNIQA card with you. More information available on the CHIS pages.

If you need a visa to travel to Russia, please follow the admin eGuide procedure.

Assistance before and during an official travel:

CERN has partnered with a specialized travel assistance company, International SOS (ISOS), to provide medical and security assistance to its members of personnel traveling for official purposes. You can find the details of their services and practical information on the corresponding admin eGuide page.


In case your trip is cancelled but expenses were already incurred and cannot be refunded (transport, registration, etc.), please do not reject or cancel the EDH TRVL. When the document returns to you, please contact the IT Secretariat for instructions.



When you return from your trip, you will receive a notification from EDH to confirm your itinerary. Please note that all the questions need to be answered carefully: itinerary, meals, hotel nights and other expenses, etc. The accommodation must be reserved on your own, you are requested to attach a scan of your hotel bill to your Travel request.

NB: The same rules apply for lecturers invited by CERN. See "Reimbursement formalities" for additional information.


  • Update 30.11.2021

RT-PCR tests

Travellers should also be reminded that COVID-19 tests will have to be organised and paid for by themselves and will be reimbursed via the EDH Travel document for duty travels.

The cost of tests taken for private reasons will have to be borne by travellers.

  • Update 28.04.2021

The new Travel form is now live and Traveldoo is available to all members of personnel.


Related documents